Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:36:46 -0400

Re: [PLUG] multi-user staroffice

On Friday 14 June 2002 08:38 am, Michael Leone wrote:
> I've used OpenOffice on Windows. It can open Word docs. However, when
> you save the same file back in Word format (to share with others), it
> completely screws up some of the formatting - specifically,
> bulleted/numbered lists, and tab settings.

These might be adjustable, before the fact, minimizing the damage.  I
use a lot of Word fields.  SO 5.2 (linux) did an amazing job of
converting *most* of them, but screwed up other types on the round
trip.  Still, I was pretty happy with what it *could* do.

> Dunno if the Linux version of OO does any better, but I know I can't
> use OO on Windows, since I need to share Word-created documents with
> other, Word-only users, and I can't have the formatting all screwed
> up, every time I save a change.

This is my situation, and I use a lot of automation in my templates to
create documents.  I was surprised at how many of the templates were
convertable and how little code tweaking it took to fix the simpler
ones.

BTW, SO 5.2 seemed to be going in two different directions with macro
automation.  What did OO end up with?