Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 14 Jun 2002 10:42:43 -0400

Re: [PLUG] multi-user staroffice

On Friday 14 June 2002 10:27 am, Michael Leone wrote:
> On 14 Jun 2002 at 9:34, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > On Friday 14 June 2002 08:38 am, Michael Leone wrote:
> > > I've used OpenOffice on Windows. It can open Word docs. However,
> > > when you save the same file back in Word format (to share with
> > > others), it completely screws up some of the formatting -
> > > specifically, bulleted/numbered lists, and tab settings.
> >
> > These might be adjustable, before the fact, minimizing the damage.
>
> Never happen. No one is going to go back to existing docs, that work
> fine with the majority of user's software, just to adjust some
> settings for some minority user's software that can't re-save a
> document correctly.

I understand.  I'm in a small enviornment (max 4 users).  That said, I
also was suggest your OO preferences to possibly minimize
incompatibility.

> (These aren't complicated docs, with custom styles, etc. I could
> understand a bit of bother with those. These are simple bulleted
> lists - bulleted lists aren't exactly an advanced word processing
> thing; many users use them)

I've found that the problem with translating bulleted docs is the
result of font and character set compatibility.  Try setting OO to use
the windows bullets and see if that works.

I confess, that I am giving this advice based on my experience with SO
5.2 and Word 97.  I just downloaded OO 1.0.  I am making the
presumption that OO will do at least what SO did.  Could be wrong.
Anyway, I was able to make it work with SO 5.2 and Winword 97.