George Langford, Sc.D. on Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:45:00 -0400

[PLUG] Re: Adding shares to a W98PC-LinuxPC network

Hello:

Fred suggested that I do the following:
>	mkdir /archives
> change path line in smb.conf to /archives and remove other
> path lines
>	mv /vol1 /archives
>	mv /vol2 /archives
> ... You can only have one path per share.

OK.  I realized that, once it became clear that [homes]
in the [smb.conf] file - abbreviated version below - is the
name of the directory to be shared.  Really obvious, now.

>> BTW, the permissions of [vol1 & vol2] are for [user0] & [root]
>> whereas the network group is [amenex].  Linux won't accept
>> [amenex] as the name of the workgroup when I attempt to change
>> the group name under [properties] when i right-click on the
>> name of the directory [such as vol1] ...

> Change workgroup in smb.conf file to amenex.

Hmmm.  That's the way it already is.  And it works in spite
of Linux only letting me set the permissions to [user0] or to
[root] when I right-click on the directory name.

> Repost smb.conf, please.
> Fred

OK - I took out 99% of the commented stuff:

#======================= Global Settings =================
[global]
   workgroup = amenex
   server string = Samba Server
   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
   max log size = 0
   security = user
   encrypt passwords = yes
   smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
   dns proxy = no
#============================ Share Definitions ==========
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   path = /home/user0
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   valid users = %S
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

[vol1]
   path = /vol1/user0
   comment = Archives Directories
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   valid users = user0
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

[vol2]
   path = /vol2/user0
   comment = Archives Directories
   browseable = yes
   writable = yes
   valid users = user0
   create mode = 0664
   directory mode = 0775

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

I burned a good CD-R disk with the W98 PC, with the files coming
from the LinuxPC over the network cable.  Took same time as a
normal burn and looks pretty good, although I didn't open all
620MB of the files.  This now seems to work OK, leaving the
flaky CD burner in the LinuxPC as the limp-home expedient.

Thanks again for looking into this.  I'm ready to resume report
writing with confidence.

Best regards,
George