Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:30:17 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Adding shares to a W98PC-LinuxPC network

> However, I got greedy and am attempting to add some directories
> in the LinuxPC to the network shares.  I got as far as seeing
> the new "archives" share (in addition to the "user0" share)
> but W98 won't give me access to the "archives" folder with my
> user0 password.  I tried changing the user0 password on the
> LinuxPC with:
> 			passwd user0

You need to do

smbpasswd -a user0

The unix passwds and samba passwds are stored in different places. This
was a choice on the part of the samba developers.

> 	[archives]
> 	path = /vol1
> 	comment = Archives Directories
> 	#   browseable = no
> 	browseable = yes
> 	writable = yes
> 	valid users = %S
>         create mode = 0664
> 	directory mode = 0775
> 	# If you want users samba doesn't recognize to be mapped
> 		to a guest user
> 	; map to guest = bad user

chown user0 /vol1

Change the line that says

valid users = %S

valid users = user0

You could also just eliminate that line and you won't have to worry about
it.

> to smb.conf, all I did was copy the entries from [homes] and
> add the path statement ... but W98 picked up the addition of
> the [archives] folder right away.

This is usually a good way to learn.

Fred