Greg Lopp on Sat, 15 Jun 2002 06:10:16 +0200

[PLUG] networking weirdness

The company recently bought me a Dell Inspiron 8200 to use.
Everything works fine on the WinXP side, but I have a very
strange problem with this linux install from some rather old
debian potato CDs (2.2.18pre21, for that helps anyone).

It's sitting on my 192.168.0/24 home lan but fails to directly
ping the other boxes.  I tried diddling with the module config (a
3com 3c920 using the 3c59x module) but then at some point I
notice that there is successful and recognized samba broadcast
traffic coming from the laptop.  It appears that broadcast
traffic works fine, but all else is ignored.

/etc/network/interfaces is the same (where necessary) as on
another lan box.  So is the output of "route".

Anybody have any advice that doesn't include downloading several
isos and burning new install CDs?

greg