Chris Beggy on Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:01:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RMS and GNU/sink (was: systrace is cool)

Jason <jason@nocks.com> writes:

> It would be interesting to replay history with the Linux kernel release under
> a totally different license and see how things played out. But, until someone
> releases TimeMachine 1.0, I guess we'll never know how things would be
> different. But you will choose a GPL License when you release TimeMachine
> 1.0, won't you? -Just a little attempt at humor...

Something like this actually happened, though!

386BSD, a unix for ix86 PCs with a BSD, not-GPL license, first
appeared in July 1992. This was about a year after the first
Linux release.  This release contained encumbered binaries, which
were a source of legal problems for the distributors and the code
was stillborn.  The NetBSD carefully reworked the encumbered
portions of the code and that kernel and OS continues today.

Later, in 1993, the FreeBSD people carefully wrote from scratch
any portions of their starting BSD-Lite codebase from scratch, to
avoid any legal licensing problems for their kernel and OS for
x86 PCs.

So the the way things did turn out, is the way things would have
turned out.

This history is in:

  http://www.cs.uu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/386bsd-faq/.html
  http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/