gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 15 Jun 2002 01:20:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] RMS and GNU/sink (was: systrace is cool)

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 06:53:49PM -0400, Noah Silva wrote:
> The other thing is this:  I also run openoffice.  I use gnome (what RMS
> wrote all of that too??), but I have KDE installed.  I also have
> mozilla, etc.  Oh wait, and selinux, and Kylix, and SAPDB, and apache.
>
> By RMS's logic, it should be:
> GNU/Sun/Netscape/TrollTech/SecureComputing/Borland/SAP/Apache/Linux

No, you're stretching his meaning further than it goes. Those are
*minor* components of the operating system (well, I guess Gnome
would be debatable for some people, but I think you'd probably agree
that a GUI is just useless fluff; sorry Ian... it's *pretty* useless
fluffy though!), whereas the basic, POSIX-standard userland tools
are a much more important part of an operable OS.

> and, Apple's OS shouldn't be called "Apple Mac OS", it should be "Apple
> BSD/Mac OS".

No it shouldn't. RMS is making his demand along the same line as the
"GPLed code can't leave the GPL" line of reasoning. BSD source isn't
licensed the same way at all. As long as Apple states copyright of
the code (hell, even Microsoft does this for the 4.2BSD TCP/IP
stack, presuming they're still using it), they're doing what was
asked of them.

> But apache? QT?  you get the point.

No, I don't. Apache's just another application (and only *one*, and
it itself wouldn't work without the basic userland there), and QT
is a fluff library (which *really* wouldn't work without a userland).
Give me real meat and potatoes. Remember, Linux's libc is *also* a
GNU thing.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net