gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 18 Jun 2002 13:01:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Email encryption

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 12:49:33PM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> The problem with this is, I believe it doesn't even let you know that
> RFC compliant email signatures (like the ones created using mutt) are
> present, let alone attempt to verify them.  Other mail clients have
> problems verifying RFC compliant mail signatures, but the rest at least
> let you see that the signature attachment is there.

That's not true. PGP's plugin for outlook successfully verifies
RFC-compliant OpenPGP signatures. It doesn't deal at all with
encrypted messages unless they're ASCII-armored, though.

> MS Outlook is bad.  You should use mutt under Linux instead.

This is a terrible answer. If encryption is still too difficult to
use that people can't use it in whatever (otherwise flawed) MUA they
like, then we're doing something wrong.

It is precisely the hordes of Outlook users who need to be persuaded
to use PKI encryption and authentication all the time on every
message in order to show how ridiculous government actions against
strong crypto really are. Without the masses using it, it's just a
fringe society that cares about their privacy, and they (we) can be
silenced.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net