Noah Silva on Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:37:24 -0400

[PLUG] arg! Linux renumbered devices again!

I finally fixed the problem with Xine dying by creative sym linking of
device files.  Not the best solution, but since I really only want to
use one of the sound devices, it will do.  I would think the situation
of having multiple sound devices isn't uncommon, because a lot of people
might do what I did: Buy a motherboard with crappy built-in sound, and
then plug in a better sound card.

Now I noticed another problem: Linux renumbered my devices again!

Used to be:
IDE CD-ROM = /dev/cdrom
Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM = /dev/cdrom1
Yamaha SCSI CDRW = /dev/cdrom2

now it's:
Toshiba SCSI CD-ROM = /dev/cdrom
Yamaha SCSI CDRW = /dev/cdrom1
The IDE one??????

No idea... it isn't in /dev/cdromx where x is between 0 and 5.  Note
that i didn't move anything, change any SCSI IDs, or take the computer
apart at all.  All I did was turn it off for two weeks while I was on
vacation.

I would be more than happy to remove the IDE CD-rom and use it as a
coaster for my chu-hi if someone could tell me why playing VCDs from the
Toshiba SCSI drive is so slow (it's a 32x drive!).

It would seem as id the IDE CD-rom drive just isn't plugged in, but I
just checked, and it is.  (not to mention the drive ejects, so it has
power).

I have attached the output of:
cdrecord -scanbus
cat /var/log/messages | grep cd
and some files from /proc

/proc/ide shows only hda and hdb (both of which are IDE hard drives).

Maybe the CD drive just died?  I don't have any other equipment that
accepts IDE to test it on unfortunately.

Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks,
   noah silva

Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
scsibus0:
	0,0,0	  0) *
	0,1,0	  1) *
	0,2,0	  2) *
	0,3,0	  3) 'TOSHIBA ' 'CD-ROM XM-6201TA' '1037' Removable CD-ROM
	0,4,0	  4) *
	0,5,0	  5) *
	0,6,0	  6) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW8424S        ' '1.0j' Removable CD-ROM
	0,7,0	  7) *
Character devices:
  1 mem
  2 pty/m%d
  3 pty/s%d
  4 tts/%d
  5 cua/%d
  6 lp
  7 vcs
 10 misc
 13 input
 14 sound
 21 sg
 29 fb
 81 video_capture
128 ptm
136 pts/%d
162 raw
166 usb/acm/%d
180 usb
226 drm

Block devices:
  1 ramdisk
  3 ide0
 11 sr
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: TOSHIBA  Model: CD-ROM XM-6201TA Rev: 1037
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: YAMAHA   Model: CRW8424S         Rev: 1.0j
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02