gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:05:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] kernel sockets, anyone?

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 07:21:31PM -0500, Sean Finney wrote:
> so i'm experimenting with kernel-level sockets, and i have a working
> daemon that listens on a given tcp/ip port and writes "hello" to anyone
> that connects.  the problem is, that I'm getting an increasing number
> of lingering connections in the CLOSE_WAIT state after the client
> disconnects.
>
> normally, i remember doing something with setsockopt and SO_LINGER to
> get rid of that back in the good ol' days of userland, but I either
> can't remember how I did that, or that functionality doesn't exist
> in kernel sockets.

You're on the right track with setsockopt(2), but I thought it was
one of the SO_REUSE* flags.

In any case, I think code you have (Kuzman's--you haven't blown that
away have you? I think the CVS repository's still on uriel) does
this. And if it doesn't, I've got stuff left over from my cs97 in-class
assignments that does on a system you've got root access to. (It's
okay, I give you permission.) The robot people also do this all
over the place. (Nathaniel was so happy when he figured it out...)

Do summarize here, though, since most of that was completely
unintelligible to the general audience. ;^>

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net