Keith Bentrup on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:31:29 -0400

[PLUG] dual booting and upgrading question

Hi guys,
so it's been a while since i've dual booted, i just have a couple boxes now, anyway a friend recently asked me this questions ... and i don't how to respond ... any thoughts?

>I ran into a problem upgrading RedHat- I inadvertently wrote Lilo into the MBR so there is no way to reinstall without losing >everything on my drive, unless you know some way.

she's dual booting between RH 7.0 and Win 98 on a single hard drive. she wants to save the files on the win 98 partition, but she believes (and i don't know otherwise) that upgrading would entail starting from scratch on the hard drive b/c of the lilo/MBR situation .. is this true? .... oh she wants (maybe needs) to start with a fresh RH b/c of hardware incompatibility problems and some critical files that appear to be missing

thanks everyone,

-keith :-)

------------------------------------- Keith H. Bentrup Lucid Tech Solutions, LLC P.O. Box 135 Wallingford, PA 19086 Tel/Fax (610) 960-5360 http://www.lucidtechsolutions.com help@lucidtechsolutions.com