Sean Finney on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:10:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] dual booting and upgrading question

hey keith--

this shouldn't be a problem at all.  in your lilo.conf you just need an
entry for for both your linux box and your windows box. for example,
on my dual-booting laptop, where there's a windows partition on
/dev/hda3, i have the following entry in lilo.conf:

other=/dev/hda3
	label=dos

I don't know what your default lilo settings are, but if you're using
redhat i imagine after putting that in and re-running lilo, the next time
you boot up you should see an option to go into "dos" in redhat's fancy
pants bitmap lilo boot menu screen.  it's possible that you may have to
hold shift if you have a lilo prompt that doesn't...  prompt.. you for
a boot image.

if you haven't repartitioned the disk or otherwise mucked with the
hard drive's layout, the win98 partition should still be there.  also,
if you later upgrade some aspect of the windows machine, it's more than
likely that windows will overwrite your MBR, which means you should keep
a linux boot disk handy so you can re-run lilo. (btw, the MBR is just
the first ...512(?) bytes of a hard drive which contain a basic program
that usually just points to another program--the os kernel on a partition
of that disk)

hth
--sean