Bill Jonas on Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:00:51 +0200

Re: [PLUG] unix cp function call (thanks)

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 12:38:42PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> NOTE: You should not rely on the data integrity the identd protocol
> tries to provide you with. If you think you need this, you really need
> protocols which do strong host and/or user authentication such as ssh
> and IPsec in conjunction with audit trails.

Well... no kidding.  I forget why I wanted this (probably some silly IRC
network required ident service, and I wished to do it the Right Way),
but it wasn't because of any meaningful need on my part.  Note that I
said I wound up deciding it wasn't worth the little bit of trouble it
would have taken, and wound up using nullidentd instead.  The
description of the Debian package reads, "nullidentd is a small, fast
and secure identd daemon. It returns a static string for every query."
Not exactly super-spiffy user identification.

> (The "NAT with IPv4" is what you thought you needed midentd for,
> right?)

Well, I didn't "need" midentd specifically, I just wanted to find
something that would provide an equivalent functionality on OpenBSD.
Moot point anyhow, though, since nullidentd gave me what I actually
needed at the time (an ident response) and I'm no longer currently
running OpenBSD.

Hmm... I'm tempted to set up nullidentd to return a username of
'DontYouKnowIdentProvidesNoMeaningfulInformation' or somesuch. ;)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin