Alex Shusterman on Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:25:35 -0400

[PLUG] Printing to a Remote Printer running Windows XP

I just wanted to share my experience with CUPS printing to a printer running
Windows XP.  What I chose to do since the box I am printing to uses WinXP
(otherwise known as NT/2000 by Linux) so I read in the CUPS documentation
that boxes using NT/2000 have support for Unix Printing systems.  I went to
microsofts website to learn how to do this in XP and then activated it in
XP.  Then once in cups, all I had to do in cups was to select LPD/LPR
printer and then type in the location which for me was: lpd://CC486548-D/HP.
After that I selected the DeskJet driver, printed a testpage and Voila.  I
had a legible test page.

Now here is my question:
I am moving my computers from their current locations at the end of the
summer to a different rooms and will be getting a new printer to connect to
either of my PC's (the laptop or Win98 Box).  Would it be easier to add it
locally to the laptop, and then use samba print sharing and add it to my
Win98 Box as a remote printer? Or would it be easier to add it to the Win98
Box, and add to the laptop by attempting configuring samba printing from
cups using the command line?

I appreicate the lists help this far in getting me up and running Linux.

Thanks.
Alex Shusterman