Sean Finney on Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:59:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Compile error: undefined reference

heya--

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 05:51:38PM -0400, John Lavin wrote:
> I was attempting to recompile my laptop's kernel to support my soundcard
> as well as move up into the 2.4.x kernels.  I've recompiled successfully
> without the soundcard, but when I selected a couple more sound options,
> poof, compilation error:

no answers, but i have a few questions:

what sound card drivers did you enable to get the unresolved symbol?
modules or in-kernel support?
did you do a 'make mrproper' before starting your new compile?
did you do a 'make dep' before 'make' and 'make modules'?

> undefined reference to unload_mpu401

the symbol is defined in $YOURKERNELSRCDIR/linux/drivers/sound/mpu401.c,
so if you know where you're bailing out of make, and you have done
the 'make mrproper && make dep' and still get the problem you might be
able to get away with just adding in
$THATPREVIOUSDIRIJUSTMENTIONED/mpu401.o as an extra object to link into
your module/kernel and having it work.

--sean