Bill Jonas on Tue, 25 Jun 2002 20:10:15 +0200

Re: [PLUG] PHP Help

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 01:55:02PM -0400, Chris Mann wrote:
> I have that already, but on our powers that be, it's kind of lost on
> them. Was hoping for a percentage.
>
> But I think I can throw this number at them. THanks

A couple links away from that usage page you'll find
<http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200205/apachemods.html>.
You'll see that, according to this survey, PHP runs on somewhat over 40%
of Apache servers surveyed.  Further, Apache has somewhat more than a
60% "market share". (See
<http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/200205/index.html>.)  Taking
40% of 60% gives 24%.  (If you use the actual percentages instead of
rounding off like I did, you get just over 29%.)  So you can tell your
boss that PHP runs on one-fourth of *all* web servers on the Internet.

Note: Yes, I realize that this only means that Apache has the PHP module
loaded and that there might not be a single line of PHP code on the
whole site.  In and of itself, it's still a truthful statement and much
more accurate than claims that Free/OS Software is "shareware".

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin