Paul on Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:39:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] log as root or not ?

You should reread the thread from the beginning and I should have be
more precise when reformulating my question by adding :

  "when doing root stuff."

Is it a myth that it is bad to log as root and instead better to log as
a normal user and then su to root, when using a secured channel (ssh)
when doing root stuff ?

It seems to me that the answer is yes. and gabriel give me some good
arguments and so far I have read no good argument for the oposite.

You are free to do what you wish. But does everything you wish to do require root access? If you log in as root, you will never know the difference. That means you will be operating with more power and less awareness. That itself is negative.