Jesse P Schultz on Mon, 1 Jul 2002 17:00:21 +0200

Re: [PLUG] log as root or not ?

christophe barbé wrote:

Occassionally, we all get stupid.  Whe you are root, stupid can really
screw up the system.  If you always log in as a normal user, then su to
root, it helps you to not forget roots power.

You should reread the thread from the beginning and I should have be
more precise when reformulating my question by adding :

   "when doing root stuff."

Is it a myth that it is bad to log as root and instead better to log as
a normal user and then su to root, when using a secured channel (ssh)
when doing root stuff ?

It seems to me that the answer is yes. and gabriel give me some good
arguments and so far I have read no good argument for the oposite.

I have been reading from the beginning and i am aware that the issue has to do with whether the root password is going in the clear.

It does not matter whether you initially log in as root or su, if it's encrypted (SSH) it's encrypted, if it's not (Telnet) it's not, and using su only makes it difficult for a hacker who is not trying very hard. MITM is , of course a possibility on an encrypted connection and digital certificates will help with that.

My argument however, is that the issue is moot simply because you are trying to find a safest way to engage in a bad practice. Logging
in as root is a bad practice no matter how secure the connection is.

Is there an actual need to use what is normally considered bad practice?