Walt Mankowski on Tue, 2 Jul 2002 11:07:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] keysigning wednesday?

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 02:12:35PM -0400, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> FYI, we still don't have a speaker scheduled for this wednesday.  This will
> be the first time since the middle of 1999.  Back then it was fairly normal
> to not have a speaker.  This is fine, in my opinion.  We just have a larger
> group than we did back then.

I can give my talk entitiled "A case study in when memoization doesn't
work", which i just gave at the YAPC conference last week. Here's the
abstract:

	Memoize.pm is a great tool, but sometimes it can actually make
	your program run *slower*.  In this talk I'll present a case
	study of how I attempted to use memoization to speed up a
	program, and in the process made it run an order of magnitude
	slower.  As we walk through various iterations of a program
	we'll discuss optimization techniques, profiling, some very
	rudimentary Perl internals, and even some number theory.

It's only about a half hour talk, mainly because I assumed my audience
already knew Perl and knew what memoization was.  I can add some
slides explaining memoization and get to talk to about 45 minutes.  It
would help if people knew a little Perl, but the techniques I'll be
discussing should be useful for most programming languages.

Walt