gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 3 Jul 2002 14:49:58 -0400

Re: [PLUG] keysigning wednesday?

On Wed, Jul 03, 2002 at 01:45:56PM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Secure ... mail?  I keep seeing this concept mentioned by different
> people, and keep wondering why this is important to them.  Are you using
> this on an internal secure network?  It just seems like an exercise with
> little benefit for mail which travels over public networks.

In this context:

"Secure" means authenticated without leaking the shared secret (your
password), which would allow anyone to get into your email from
anywhere without having to sniff packets to do it.

"Private" means encrypted (like PGP).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net