gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 3 Jul 2002 03:33:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] keysigning wednesday?

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 10:58:20PM -0400, Jesse Schultz wrote:
> gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> >I could easily expand on the SSH PKI rant I've been on today, if
> >people want to hear it
> I do.

Well, if we've got the time, I'm glad to run through how my own set
up works and what the various pitfalls of using PKI with SSH are.
Sounds like we've got a pretty interesting topic this meeting, so
maybe I'll pull this together with some other crypto-related stuff
and talk about it later in the year.

Maybe MCT and I could talk about CipherSaber. ;^>

> Even though I pulled us into a tangent on the su thing, I would be
> interested in using certificates with SSH.  Also with POP3 if you know
> anything about that.

Well, POP3 has no internal encryption methods. You can talk POP3
over an SSL-encrypted channel (and you can call it POP3S if you like
it, but you're in a state of sin when you do ;^>), and you can even
do that, I'm told, when talking to a Microsoft Exchange server,
though I haven't gotten my hands on my employer's yet to try.

Some MTAs make it easier to hook into this than others. Probably
the easiest way to graft it onto an existing MTA without recompilation
or (more than trival) reconfiguration is stunnel[1]. A more
complicated, though in the long run cheaper, in terms of maintenance,
and more truly secure[2] route would be IPSec. Don't try that on
Linux right now unless you want to learn a whole lot about the
internals of FreeSWAN. (I'd be glad to be corrected and told that
FreeSWAN is easy these days and actually does all of IPSec, but I
think I'd have heard a lot more noise about it by now if that were
the case).

> I like rants :-)

Heh.

[1] http://www.stunnel.org/
[2] IPSec buys you authentication and rekeying, with stunnel you
must trust the remote end of the socket to stay trustworthy, which
isn't necessarily a safe thing to do.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net