Charles Stack on Thu, 4 Jul 2002 12:42:39 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Pascal?

<snip>
> INDY does not work well in server applications.  For clients, I'll say
they
> work and leave it at that.

Fair enough, I normally write client apps.  I do know another consultant
though that uses INDY to write server apps with few problems.  I can
tell you that the old winshoes that came with older delphi is probably
the buggiest thing I have ever seen.  I am so glad that the event model
is gone.  I don't like setting up state machine to keep track of what's
going on.
</snip>

Hmmm.  I think you have mistaken the NetMasters stuff with Winshoes.
Winshoes was the original blocking socket library.  It "competed" against
the likes of ICS from Francois Piette.  However, it was originally developed
because of an ongoing war between Netmasters and Chad Hower when the latter
party felt he got screwed in a business deal.

<snip>
Well I won't talk about what I don't know, since I haven't used DxSock.
I have used another component set called something like IP*Works, which
I didn't like much.
</snip>

IP*Works is the only true competitor to DxSock.  If you do a lot of socket
programming, I suggest you check it out.  A Linux port is underway.  It is
heavily object oriented.  However, the underlying socket calls are not.
This allows you maximum flexibility.  If you are a C programmer, you'll
appreciate the use of pointers rather than TStream decendents.  This
practice alone garners a significant performance.

<snip>
> What sorts of components have you written?  Have you published any of your
> work?  I haven't published in a while...the company I work for prefers
that
> I don't at this time.
</snip>

Without copying your list...impressive.  I tend to do security and systems
level work.  The company I work for deals exclusively with law enforcement.

Do you work for the Stock Exchange?

<snip>
Since there has been a reasonable amount of traffic on this, and it
isn't -strictly- linux related, if anyone wants us to take it off list,
I have no problem with it...
</snip>

Agreed.

Cheers,