gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 4 Jul 2002 16:40:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Languages for Image Manipulation

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 09:57:36AM -0400, Michael F. Robbins wrote:
> Are there other languages or libraries that make
> getting at the images easy?

Ahem:

  http://www.palantir.swarthmore.edu/~maxwell/research_presentation.html

Vision is, in brief, what Bruce does. If you want to start from or
look at how all of the Swarthmore robots do vision (with minor
modifications, probably), grab this:

  http://www.palantir.swarthmore.edu/~maxwell/vision/svmf01.tgz

(I hope they got around to documentation... ;^>)

This can do things like:

  http://www.palantir.swarthmore.edu/~maxwell/classes/e27/S01/indexpict.jpg

which relates to:

  http://www.palantir.swarthmore.edu/~maxwell/classes/e27/S01/

(Computers doing facial- and shirt-color-recognition; yes, they
use this in robots. That's a photo from the yearly robot
competition, from the eyes of one of Swarthmore's.)

  http://www.palantir.swarthmore.edu/~maxwell/classes/e26/F00/

(Note the C source code from the text book down at the bottom,
though the link seems less than lively at the moment. You would do
well to at least play with Bruce's lab assignments on that page.)

You'll end up wanting to learn linear algebra (presuming you haven't
already) so that you can write your own matrix transforms. If you
start getting really fancy (and there are some reasons it'd make
stuff like stereo vision--which is really hard, btw, not to dissuade
you from doing it--faster), you may also want to know some multi-var
calc. But for now, you could easily steal someone else's matrix
math library. You should have an idea of how it's doing what it's
doing, of course.

Oh, I forgot to mention it before, but what you're doing in Visual
Basic, I'm used to doing in VHDL (Virtual Hardware Description
Language). See:

  http://www.palantir.swarthmore.edu/~maxwell/classes/e25/S01/

That is, you can get programmable boards like yours where what you
do is define a circuit's properties in the same way you would if you
were designing one to be printed on silicon (or gallium arsenide,
whatever)... which is not by laying out traces by hand, but using
something very much like a programming language (VHDL). I have no
idea if such a board would be more expensive to you or not, but the
language for dealing with it is more like how people really program
chips these days.

I've used what must be an older version of this:

  http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-flex_dev_kit.html

for that before. I doubt this one's cheap, so you may well be better
off stick with what you've got for now.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net