Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 5 Jul 2002 19:00:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Pascal?

> I don't get all the perl/python/ruby/etc.  Why do we need 25 different
> scripting languages?  Worse yet, I have to install them because
> SOMETHING will use ruby, something else will use perl.. yet another
> thing will want python.. some other script will want zsh, etc.  There
> are compilers for a reason ;)

Can't python compile programs? I never used python, but I might learn. I
use perl and sh for my scripting needs now. They work fine esp as perl is
in most default linux installs while python/ruby is not. I could be wrong
as rh likes python a lot (as does progeny) for their installer. Debian
uses perl as day to day glue, which IMHO is bad, netbsd got rid of all
perl dependencies and I think debian should, too. Perl is a hole, IMHO.

Compiled scripting langs is good.

> I don't think ease is the most important factor, but the important part
> is that it gives ease and safety -without- compromising speed.  The
> reason it was a teaching language was because it forces good program
> design to some extent.  What, we don't want production applications
> designed well, only research ones? ;)

No, but Larry Wall said that programmers are smart and don't like to be
coerced (some excuse for the mess that is perl, perl is my favorite lang,
right now, btw). If there's something a programmer can't do, then they'll
figure out a way around it resulting in even uglier code than before. I
would like to have good programming habits, but I would probably make an
ugly mess at first w/ pascal, you probably saw my c++ code. :)

Anyway, why don't I learn pascal? I don't see too many jobs that way. Yes,
this is a chicken-and-egg problem, and I'm not helping. As soon as I
perfect my c++ and I learn php and python, then I might look at pascal. I
have heard that mac os was in pascal. Not the best example of what pascal
can do right.

OK, I just stated my opinions b/c I was asked, hope not to start a couple
of flame wars. Everone's favorite tool is the best, but it could be done a
bit better.

Fred