Arthur S. Alexion on Sun, 7 Jul 2002 23:30:35 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Memory hardware questions

If we were using HTML mail, I'd put the <blink>  tag on the following
quote.

On Sunday 07 July 2002 10:42 pm, Jason wrote:
<blink> OT Disclaimer: This message is not suitable for all open source
or
> free software users. If reading info about M$ products or
> applications offends you, do not read this message.</blink>

> > >What do you call those shortcuts that new software slaps all over
> > >the Windows desktop and task bar?
> >
> > You know Micro$oft.  They will never refer to shortcuts as
> > symlinks. Anyone who does might get sued or something.
> >
> > Even without shortcuts, you could create a batch file which simply
> > calls the target program.
>
> Even these "shortcuts" don't typcially appear at most levels in the
> FAT or NTFS filesystems. It can be difficult to even get Windows
> Explorer to follow a "shortcut to a directory" sometimes.

That's my fear that my theory won't work.

> Plus, if an application stores much of its configuration in the
> Windows registry (most newer Windows applications do), parts of the
> application (or the entire application) might fail to function or
> even run at all by simply moving the files to the path that you want.
> For example, if you move files from c:\Program Files\WinApp to
> e:\Program Files\WinApp, you might not even be able to launch the
> application anymore. However, simply reversing the change should
> recover with no problems.

My theory is that permanently placing these shortcuts where the program
thinks it is will solve the runtime and registry problems.

> <Windows Hack>
> The closest thing to a true symlink in the windows world is remapping
> a local drive. That slows things down a bit, because the network
> layer is unnecessarily dragged into the middle of local disk access.
> But, you can remap a drive that way. For instance, if you have some
> references to c:\ and some to d:\, you can remap c: as d: so both
> references work fine. </Windows Hack>

Isn't that a DOS 3 hack, joining and remapping drives?

> And Arthur, no these headaches may not be worth it to you for the
> small improvement in Swap access under Linux. IMHO, $35 for an
> improvement from 48 MB to 128 MB of memory should be much more
> noticeable. Even for Business Apps

Yeah, and someone sent me a link where I can presumably upgrade my
processor from 75 MHz to 400 MHz, voltage converter, cooling fan and
all, even a hack for the bus speed, all for about $90.

> :) However, if you feel like learning a bit, you'll most likely learn
> : a good
>
> deal by going through the exercise of rearranging the drive
> partitions.

My first system was DOS 3.2 with a 100 MB hard drive -- the OS only
supported 32 MB partitions.

My current production windows computer is Win 95a (FAT16), meaning even
my 2.4 GB drive is partitoned to reduce cluster size.

I'm sure there is more I could learn about partitions and fdisk, but if
I don't have to . . .

> Another point w/ respect to performance:
> I am assuming that the larger drive is much newer and probably
> supports some level of Ultra DMA. I am also assuming that you have a
> motherboard with dual IDE controller controllers. If these
> controllers support Ultra DMA (66/100/133), you might notice a speed
> difference by moving the slower drive to the secondary IDE
> controller, or possibly making it the slave drive as opposed to the
> master. This is assuming that the smaller/older drive does not
> support Ultra DMA (66/100/133) and that you have an 80 conductor UDMA
> cable connected to the primary IDE controller (color coded
> connectors).

The old drive is on the motherboard with the zip drive and the cd-rom
sharing the controllers.  The new drive is on its own Promise ATA/100
card.  Is that optimal?

> And, if you are running Win 98/ME (particularly ME), you are right to
> be cautious about switching the boot partition. In my experience, Win
> 98/ME is much more sensitive to modifying the boot partition. I have
> a scenario similar to what you are describing (moved Windows from the
> 1st disk to the second disk). I was able to move things in several
> stages with both Win NT and Win 2K partitions installed. I have a
> different system with Win ME and SuSE. I "lost" my Windows partition
> a number of times. This was not a problem for me, but could be
> "problematic" for others. I am personally keeping fewer and fewer of
> these Windows partitions around, but will be glad to help however I
> can.

Its Win 95, and its primarily there for my wife and kids when they feel
they have to use it.