Brian Epstein on Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:06:39 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Memory hardware questions

> believe it or not -- almost acceptable.  It is, however, spending too
> much time swapping to disk.  I have limited memory upgrade options --

If you have an extra harddrive, you may try hooking that up to your
second controller and putting swap exclusively on that drive.  It may
speed up your computer (and would be cheaper if you have an extra hdd
sitting around).

> 128 mb max.  It takes what I believe are 70ns EDO SIMMs.  I've been
> quoted $69 for 32 MB modules from Gateway (the system manufacturer).  I
> have two questions.

Wow, that is really expensive.  I normally get my RAM from Kingston
(http://www.kingston.com), but a friend recently turned me onto Crucial
(http://www.crucial.com).

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if people on this group didn't have some
old 70ns EDO's sitting around at home that they aren't using that they'd
give to you (I'll check when I get home).

> It will cost me $140 more (at Gateway prices) for 128 vs. 96 MB.  Is
> the performance difference between 96 & 128 MB worth the difference in
> price?

For $140, no.  That's my opinion, though.  You could probably do better
on EBAY or something.  Also, check out Pricewatch
(http://www.pricewatch.com).  You should be able to get your computer up
to speed for a lot less then that.

happy hunting.
ep

--
Brian Epstein <ep@epiary.org>
Key fingerprint = F9C8 A715 933E 6A64 C220  482B 02CF B6C8 DB7F 41B4