Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:41:32 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Memory hardware questions

> I have installed RH 7.2 and spend most time in KDE either in kmail, a
> web browser, or word processing.  With its current 48 MB RAM, it is --
> believe it or not -- almost acceptable.  It is, however, spending too
> much time swapping to disk.  I have limited memory upgrade options --
> 128 mb max.  It takes what I believe are 70ns EDO SIMMs.  I've been
> quoted $69 for 32 MB modules from Gateway (the system manufacturer).  I
> have two questions.

I know that this is not the question you asked, but you said you wanted
speed.

Can you run another wm instead of kde? You can still run kde apps in
another wm, and you might not need all the features of kde. If you do need
all of kde then ignore this.

I suggest icewm or blackbox.

I started w/ kde, too, but I had so little power it was too slow for me so
I changed. I still run kde things, though (mostly konsole). :)

Fred