Art Clemons on Mon, 8 Jul 2002 00:03:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Memory hardware questions

Arthur S. Alexion:
The reason I think that shortcuts/symlinks offer the best solution is that some software is going to look for stuff where the installation program says it put it. If you move it there is a danger the program won't find it. With the shortcut/symlink approach, the tricks occur at run time as well as at install time. IN THEORY.

You know, I forgot to mention editing with regedit in win9x and winme to find such problems and then replace with the proper directory. C:\ replaced by E:\ solved most such problems and and most install programs if they used a file for uninstall, stored it in either the windows directory or the directory that was installed. The truth however is that Linux, and any of the BSD's are usually much easier to get along with if one installs some form of package even one that one creates right after compiling. The NT packages (including 2000 and XP)have different considerations at times, I just wish there was a safe way of using Linux to write to NTFS partitions.