Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:56:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] wu-ftpd questions...

> ok, I made that file above my /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd file.  Still doesnt
> work, maybe I am shutting down xientd wrong?  I am using.....
>
> killall -HUP xinetd

ps aux | grep xinet

> ps ax | grep ftp     yeilded nothing
> ps ax | grep wu-ftpd     yeilded nothing
> ps ax | grep ftpd        again, nothing

This is redundant as the first line implies the latter two. FYI.

If you are running xinetd then you are not running the services as
daemons, they only come up when an authorized client connects.

Also, did you run nmap on another machine against you ftp box?

Did you change the contents of /etc/hosts/allow and /etc/hosts.deny?

Can you show us those files?

If wu-ftp compiled w/ xinetd support? If you used stock rpm, I'm guessing
that it's not. It's meant to run as a service. This is easier to configure
and test. Also, if a paranoid sysadmin put ALL in /etc/hosts.deny then
ftpd would look "broken" even when it wasn't if rh installed in xinetd by
default.

Fred