Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 8 Jul 2002 23:44:34 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Pascal?

>Surprisingly, with all the cell phones and PDAs supporting it now, I
>don't know.  I would think in the embedded market would be where you
>wouldn't have the spare horsepower for non-native code.

I know this one. I thought java was originally conceived of as a
x-platform language in which to write device drivers so people didn't have
to keep reinventing the wheel when one would move from one embeded device
to another. I'm guessing they didn't intend to run a vm on that tiny
hardware, though.

Most people think of java as a web language which is more likely java
script, which for some strange reason shares the same name.

When I played w/ java I always felt that I spent all my time either
looking for a wheel, which isn't as fun as inventing one, but probably
makes for better code, or trying to figure out how to pass information b/w
objects efficiently.

Fred Ollinger (follinge@sas.upenn.edu)
CCN sysadmin