Brian Epstein on Tue, 9 Jul 2002 06:50:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] corrupted partition table on CF card

> partion table is the first 512 bytes of the device (someone please
> correct me if i'm wrong!:), so you could do something like:

Close, but not totally.

The partition table is in the following format:

first 446 bytes = boot loader (LILO, GRUB, etc)
next 64 bytes = partition table
next 2 bytes = signature bytes (most likely 0x55AA)
---------------
512 bytes

So in reality, you only need to copy the 64 bytes (or 66 bytes for
completeness) after the boot loader.

In this case since you don't care about the boot loader (I don't know if
you can boot of an SF card), just doing the dd specified would be good
enough.

Hey, you said correct if you were wrong :)

> software i could use to drag the deleted data up from the murky depths
> of this hard disk image?  thanks :)

did you check out the coroner's toolkit or midnight commander?  I don't
know if they apply to FAT32 or not. :(

happy hunting
ep

--
Brian Epstein <ep@epiary.org>
Key fingerprint = F9C8 A715 933E 6A64 C220  482B 02CF B6C8 DB7F 41B4