Sean Finney on Tue, 9 Jul 2002 10:24:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] wu-ftpd questions...

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 10:39:18PM -0400, Anthony Locascio wrote:
> ok, I made that file above my /etc/xinetd.d/wu-ftpd file.  Still doesnt
> work, maybe I am shutting down xientd wrong?  I am using.....
>
> killall -HUP xinetd

i think the way you probably want to do this is via the init.d script.
that is to say

/etc/init.d/xinetd start
/etc/init.d/xinetd stop

or

/etc/init.c/xinetd restart

depending on what you want.  the init.d scripts usually do everything
needed to start/stop/restart/reload/status, and are what get called
by your system at bootup, shutdown, and other change of runlevel, depending
on the contents of your rcN.d directories (assuming you have a sys V
distro, which last time i heard redhat was at least sort of...)

but to add my $0.02, if you're running this on anything other than a
secure network not available from the outside world, or unless you're only
allowing anonymous logins, you should really consider using sftp instead.
sftp works right out of the box with any recent version of openssh (you
have upgraded to 3.4, right? :), and it's about as secure as you can
get these days.

--sean