Michael Leone on Tue, 9 Jul 2002 21:59:34 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Libranet

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 21:50, Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> > > A debian install is not that bad. I consider it a learning experience .
> >
> > So is whacking yourself in the head with a board filled with nails.:-)
>
> Be fair now.

OK, so I exaggerated *a bit*. :-)

> If you don't want to learn anything then this might might not
> be the best idea, but I have learned enough about my own hardware to get
> to the point where future problems were greatly reduced.
>
> Whacking yourself in the head w/ a board will teach you, that you don't
> want to do that again. Installing debian will instill you w/ confidence to
> get you to the next level.

Taught me I wanted an easier/quicker install, so I could get on with
using the machine quicker. :-)

> If I had a complaint from progeny, it would be that it was overly
> simplified for me. I'm guessing that libranet is not, good autodetection,
> but lots of choices.

Not overly, no, but some.

> The point is that once you get past the initial install, you never have to
> do it again, which is one of the reasons (excuses?) that debian people had
> for not caring too much about their installer.

Until you have to install multiple machines, as I did (2 desktops at
home, 2 laptops (one was a straight Debian install of potato, and took
*much* longer to get working right than the Libranet), 1 desktop server
at work).

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

These are the memories which make me a wealthy soul ...