Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 9 Jul 2002 21:55:51 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Libranet

> > > I know that there are many Debian devotees on the list.  I've been curious
> > > about it but scared off by the dire descriptions of the install process .
> > > Libranet claims to have created a Debian for newbies (and the very busy).
> >
> > A debian install is not that bad. I consider it a learning experience.
>
> So is whacking yourself in the head with a board filled with nails.:-)

Be fair now. If you don't want to learn anything then this might might not
be the best idea, but I have learned enough about my own hardware to get
to the point where future problems were greatly reduced.

Whacking yourself in the head w/ a board will teach you, that you don't
want to do that again. Installing debian will instill you w/ confidence to
get you to the next level.

> > Autodetection isn't that great, though.
> >
> > However, progeny has been working on this. You can get graphical debian
> > install disks here:
> >
> > http://archive.progeny.com/progeny/pgi/
>
> Progeny is not being actively developed further, is it? Libranet is, and
> (according to the mailing list) is due for a new revision in a "few
> more" weeks.

Progeny is not developing their distro, but they have given their
installer to the community. It is being used in some woody install disks.
Getting from progeny (or libranet) to vanilla woody is not too hard. I'm
glad libranet is giving out their installer, though. I'd like to try it.
Can someone who has tried both give us an opinion--progeny and libranet?

If I had a complaint from progeny, it would be that it was overly
simplified for me. I'm guessing that libranet is not, good autodetection,
but lots of choices.

The point is that once you get past the initial install, you never have to
do it again, which is one of the reasons (excuses?) that debian people had
for not caring too much about their installer.

Fred