Christopher Shanahan on Wed, 10 Jul 2002 01:19:22 -0400

[PLUG] dd and mount help

Hello all.
Let me start by saying please pardon the 'stupid' questions. But, I'm hoping
someone can help with a dd/mount problem I'm having.
I want to use dd to copy a hard drive taken from a workstation. The hard
drive, a 19.1Gb EIDE hard drive, was running Windows 98 connected to a LAN
with Internet access. I'm trying to create an exact image of the actual
device, not just the area formatted with a file system. We're trying to
recover important data lost on the drive. That's why I'm using dd and not a
backup utility.
I'm using a machine running RH 7.3 with my own compiled kernel (2.4.18-5)
with support added for various file systems. I'm sending my copy (or image)
to a 26.1Gb logical partition (hdb7) on an 80Gb data-only hard drive. The
hard drive I'm trying to copy is cabled as hdd. I addressed the reserved
space on the partition (hdb7) using #tune2fs -m o /dev/hdb7 so I'm sure I'll
have plenty of room for the image file. df says I have free space totaling
26.1Gb as I should. However, dd keeps ending prematurely at about 16.06Gb
(as it has now four times) giving the error 'File size limit exceeded'. This
I don't understand? There is nothing else on the 26.1Gb partition (hdb7).

Command is:
#dd if=/dev/hdd1 of=/mnt/Win9x/image.dd conv=noerror,sync 2
/mnt/Win9x/image_error.txt (sorry for the word wrap)
Output from ls -al is
-rw-r--r--  1  root  root  17247252480  Date/Time  image.dd
17,247,252,480 / 1,073,741,824 = 16.06Gb

This is where I'm confused...

I want to dd the entire hard drive (hdd not hdd1), not just the space
containing a file system. And, mount is used to mount a 'file system' to a
mount point on my machine. Wouldn't that make the free space not associated
with a file system unreachable? If there is any? Do I have to mount the
actual device (hdd) in order to use dd? If so, I can only mount hdd1 because
that's the partition that contains the file system. I can't mount hdd (or
can I?). Will dd image a device that isn't mounted to a file system on my
machine?

I realize this may sound strange but the user really messed up the computer
and now we're left with the task of trying to recover important data. Any
TIA

--- Chris Shanahan