Jason on Wed, 10 Jul 2002 16:13:58 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Pascal?

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 00H:33, Noah Silva wrote:

> > > If you aren't going to make any C-style function calls, then what
> > > system library do you plan on using?
> >
> > I get it. Everything is in c anyway, but other languages have a place.
>
> Well this is something that I think is a valid point, and needs to be
> dealt with.  Borland has dealt with it by:
> a.) Providing pre-done pascal interfaces for common system functions and
> DLLs.
> b.) Pascal has pascal string to C string (ASCIIZ) conversion routines
> standard.
> etc.
>
> But still... I find some windows DLL I want to use, and I have to find
> the C header and translate it.  There are automated tools to do this, so
> it's not a big deal, but I think it needs to be thought about.  The
> reason SmallTalk and Eiffel, etc. aren't useful is because...  I can
> download a library in Pascal or C for OpenGL, Lotus Notes, SCSI
> interfaces, MySQL, Gnome, etc.  Where is this stuff for SmallTalk?
> nowhere last time I checked.  It -is- there is many if not most cases
> for pascal, and what isn't there is easy to port.

I haven't really used SmallTalk or Eiffel. When I've looked at SmallTalk, it
was not that easy for me to read, personally. But, that's probably mainly
just unfamiliarity with the basic syntax.

I did come accross a reference to a company still promoting Eiffel products,
including EiffelStudio:
http://www.eiffel.com

Now, this is definitely NOT a recommendation to use Eiffel. I don't personally
know anybody that uses it. Thought it was interesting purely as a curiousity.

> I would like to see more advanced [compiled] languages thrive, but there
> needs to be an easy to pick what you want to use, and that means that we
> need to have libraries that can easily inter-operate, and ways to use
> existing bindings.  This to me, is the positive effect that including C
> in C++ had.  This was why I said it would be interesting to have a
> pascal compiler that would let me declare C procedures and/or data
> types.

If you want to do this very thing from ObjectPascal, why do you seem to make
it out to be such a bad thing that it can be done from C++?

>  -- noah silva

Cheers,
Jason Nocks