Bill Jonas on Thu, 11 Jul 2002 15:43:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Program permission

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 03:22:22PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Ug.  What if we just take away all permissions, then use "chmod u+rx
> targetname"?  I know that that notation has limitations, but in this
> case it would make things very clear and simple.

What if it's already rwxr-xr-x?  You'll need to first run "chmod a-rwx
file" first, using two commands.  Or you need to say something like
"chmod a-rwx,u+rx file", which is still a good bit more typing than
saying "500" instead of the permission string.  If you prefer it that
way, I suppose there's nothing wrong with it.  However, once it clicks
(and I remember very clearly the moment it did for me), you'll prefer
the brevity of using the octal modes.

I suppose, if you want, you could instead use GNU chmod's --reference
switch, but I don't think I'd recommend it.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin