Sean Finney on Thu, 11 Jul 2002 02:00:13 +0200

[PLUG] moms and linux

so i've decided to make it a personal mission to convert my mom over to
path of the enlightened.  she doesn't know a whole lot about computers,
but she doesn't use them for much either (email, word processing, web,
et c.).

my plan is to grab, possibly modify, and then burn one of those
system-on-a-ramdisk cd's, and show her how it would work the same for
her needs, and then convince her to let me back her stuff up and then
go to work on her computer.

unfortunately, i don't know too much about (nor would i consider myself
a good judge of) user-friendliness of the various desktop environments.
i'm guessing that i'd be wanting to use something involving either gnome
or kde, but my experience with both has been more or less "give me
the xterm".

so now i'd like to field any opinions that anyone would like to share
about user-friendliness for this little endeavor of mine.  distributions?
desktop environments? window managers? applications?  also if anyone has
personal experience with any of those system-on-a-ramdisk CD's (I know
of a few for linux, and one for netbsd), I'd really like to hear what
you have to say.

thanks,
--sean

ps: i'm cross-posting this to SLUG (swarthmore (college) LUG) and
PLUG (philadelphia (area) LUG) in the hopes that i get more responses.
sorry to those who get two messages :)