LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:40:15 +0200

Re: [PLUG] moms and linux

Hi All,

I would like to put in my 2 cents here and tell you that my mother has been using Linux for a couple of years on one computer and windows on a second. What my mother likes about windows is that a M$ word document will pop up M$ word automatically. When I told her how dangerous that was her attitude was that since it is easier it is worth the risk to the system since she doesn't keep anything important on the windows system.

Concerning a desktop enviroment, it is mu personal opinion that kde and gnome hog too much resources for my liking. Also, one in this thread stated that the icewm is nice. For the novice either icewm or fvwm95 are nice light weight window managers.

Another suggested that an auto login with no password is nice which destroys the security of Linux. As with the isp, even your mother needs a login and password with no cancel button. It doesn't have to be a secure password for dialup, but if the system is connected to a 24/7 connection, then it better be secure.

Those of us who are happy with an xterm, our mother's will not be as comfortable. A good menu system works wonders.

On your mother's box I would install xdm so that she doesn't have to type startx at the console. I would put in her .xsession file the following:

  netscape | mozilla
  abiword | openoffice | wordperfect

These will take care of surfing the web, email, and document processing. I would also have mime automatically execute acroread or xpdf for pdf files. A lot of people like the noise (music) that a number of web pages have so I would have the mpeg and all of the other items required for automatic streaming audio.

Sean Finney wrote:
so i've decided to make it a personal mission to convert my mom over to
path of the enlightened.  she doesn't know a whole lot about computers,
but she doesn't use them for much either (email, word processing, web,
et c.).

my plan is to grab, possibly modify, and then burn one of those
system-on-a-ramdisk cd's, and show her how it would work the same for
her needs, and then convince her to let me back her stuff up and then
go to work on her computer.

unfortunately, i don't know too much about (nor would i consider myself
a good judge of) user-friendliness of the various desktop environments.
i'm guessing that i'd be wanting to use something involving either gnome
or kde, but my experience with both has been more or less "give me
the xterm".

so now i'd like to field any opinions that anyone would like to share
about user-friendliness for this little endeavor of mine.  distributions?
desktop environments? window managers? applications?  also if anyone has
personal experience with any of those system-on-a-ramdisk CD's (I know
of a few for linux, and one for netbsd), I'd really like to hear what
you have to say.

thanks,
--sean

ps: i'm cross-posting this to SLUG (swarthmore (college) LUG) and
PLUG (philadelphia (area) LUG) in the hopes that i get more responses.
sorry to those who get two messages :)