Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 11 Jul 2002 14:10:13 +0200

Re: [PLUG] moms and linux

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 08:38 pm, Jason wrote:
> > unfortunately, i don't know too much about (nor would i consider
> > myself a good judge of) user-friendliness of the various desktop
> > environments. i'm guessing that i'd be wanting to use something
> > involving either gnome or kde, but my experience with both has been
> > more or less "give me the xterm".
>
> I've used KDE more than Gnome. KDE definitely seems pretty ready for
> the novice user. I would think that either would be more than
> sufficient for basic web browsing and/or email. Exchanging Word
> documents is likely to be the most troublesome thing. Import/Export
> filters is definitely a sore point, particularly with KWord.
>
> I haven't compared the actual footprints of KDE and Gnome either, but
> that might be a good thing to check out as well. If the needs are
> real light, some of the simpler Window Managers might also serve well
> with less overhead. I haven't used many in quite some time, though (9
> years?).

I work in x. in a word processor all of the time.  My experience is
with Red Hat.  Interestingly, my experience with RH 6.2/kde1/gnome1 was
that gnome seemed more feature rich, but much more sluggish.  Now with
RH 7.2/kde2/gnome2, the tables seem to have turned.  KDE seems much
better integrated, but gnome seems faster.  (I use the word "seems"
here because these are subjective opinions.)  For mom, though, what
might be important is that both are highly customizable and you can
really get them to look and feel comfortable to a windows user.  I'd
recommend setting up one to be very windows-like and the other to have
a very different interface so that mom can see the customizability and
eventually change it to suit herself.

OpenOffice Writer is doing a fine job of handling Word docs.  I can
move a document back and forth between word and OOW without any
significant differences, even with moderately complex docs.