Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:50:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast or Verizon DSL for Linux laptop?

> > Yes, it does appear to be the case that they're blocking file transfers in AIM.
> > My niece is testing this with me and says that a lot of businesses and
> > universities are also blocking this due to viruses and such.

This is really stupid. Maybe they should go and smash everyone's keyboards
and they'd prevent carpal tunnel.

> > Verizon's explanation for the port 80 block was that too many people were
> > either getting infected by the various worms and viruses, or complaining to
> > Verizon about seeing attempts in their apache logs.

I think that's BS. They don't want people to use their home boxes as a
'hobby' web server. I'm switching service asap probably to speakeasy. One
can just get apache to bind to anther port--I did this--but then people
have to type :81 in their url which is too hard for 90% of the world, so
this is just plain unacceptable.

I'm going to go dump all my valuables on the street so I don't get
burglured. :)

Fred