Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:52:52 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Red Hat Beta

> I only remember seeing the CD tester in the beta (Skipjack).  I have
> installed 7.3 about 4 or 5 time so far, and out of those times I have
> installed RPMs from the 7.2 CD on all but one of the installs.  As for

So you used the 7.3 installer but used the 7.2 rpms? I think that I'd like
to do this, if possible.

> upgrading, there are a few tools out there to help you.  RPMfind is one of
> them.  The other is a version of apt-get for RedHat which I believe is
> located at www.tuxfamily.org.  I believe the quick turn out for the next
> version of RedHat is due to the Gnome release and KDE's constant updating.

Well as a debian nutjob, I like apt a lot, and I do use apt under rh w/ a
lot of success. I am afraid to try to do a dist upgrade, though.

I have an unofficial apt source line for rh6.2, for all those who want the
newest mailmain (mostly), it also has python2.2, and some 7.3 kernel utils
compiled for rh6.2 w/ all that apt goodness. The disclaimer that this is
all a joke and I'm not responsible for anything bad should go double here
as these are my first rpm packages I ever made. They work ok, so far, on
our production server, though.

rpm http://moonraker.sas.upenn.edu/apt redhat-updates-6.2/redhat extra
rpm-src http://moonraker.sas.upenn.edu/apt redhat-updates-6.2/redhat extra

Fred Ollinger