kaze on Tue, 16 Jul 2002 00:32:18 -0400

RE: [PLUG] LILO weirdness

==> > OK, I've got the system files back in place, but there appear to
==> > be a few corrupted files and a registry problem.  It's telling me
==> > to boot to a command prompt and run scanreg - which promptly
==> > fails or locks up.
==>
==> I'm sure there are some registry recovery-type programs out
==> there by now, but
==> I have no experience w/ any of these.

Some versions of Windows save the last one (two?) copies of the reg,
something like system.dat.001

==> > Partition magic is giving me an error while looking at that
==> > partition.....something about the partition not ending on a
==> > cylindar?

Partition magic has a repair feature which occasionally works. Sometimes
those errors go away if you use a different version of Partition magic -
though not necc a newer one... My favs are the DOS CLI one and the v.2000