Jason on Tue, 16 Jul 2002 00:38:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LILO weirdness

On Friday 12 July 2002 21H:02, Greg Lopp wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:22:23PM -0400, Jason wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday 11 July 2002 15H:09, Greg Lopp wrote:
> > > After some swaping in and out of ide HDs a few days ago, which
> > > ended with a return to my original HW config, I am no longer able
> > > to boot into win98.  After the LILO menu, it says "Non-system
> >
> > I am tempted to ask, "Is this a bad thing?". But, I'll try to be nice.
>
> Yea, I saw that joke coming.

Couldn't resist. :)

> > > Any clues or pointers?
> >
> > You created a "Win98 Rescue Disk", right? If so, have you tried that?
>
> Still going for the easy jokes? ;)
> Sure I created one, when I installed it four years and two moves
> ago.  Chances are that it is long, long gone.....
>

> Nope - It was hanging out in the shoe box with all the Mac disks
> that are even older.

Yup, got some of those (except replace Mac w/ Apple II - never really got into
the Macs).

> > Assuming you haven't or that it hasn't helped:
>
> <snip>
>
> > If so, and nobody has a better suggestion, you might try doing a "sys
> > c:". That should transfer the basic DOS boot files to your C: drive
> > without erasing any data (You might try this with the DOS system files
> > installed under the Windows directory - I think, I forget where). If that
> > works, you ought to at least be able to boot to the C: drive. From there,
> > you should be able to repair the Win98 installation. I forget some of the
> > details. Haven't worked with Win98/ME very extensively for a while.
>
> OK, I've got the system files back in place, but there appear to
> be a few corrupted files and a registry problem.  It's telling me
> to boot to a command prompt and run scanreg - which promptly
> fails or locks up.

I'm sure there are some registry recovery-type programs out there by now, but
I have no experience w/ any of these.

> Partition magic is giving me an error while looking at that
> partition.....something about the partition not ending on a
> cylindar?

Not sure why this is happening. I don't use partition magic, though. I don't
suppose that you actually tried M$ support? I know, "ha ha". Well, you might
look in the knowledgebase on microsoft.com, or even try calling partition
magic or check their website. Yeah, you've probably already done that. Just
thought I'd ask.

> Oh this sucks.  I might be able to get my Win98 install cd back
> and reinstall most of the apps, but who knows where all the
> drivers have gone.....

Sounds like a Paula Cole song...

Well, the good news is that you got your data, right? I would back that up
before you did anything "more creative". I've personally lost a few battles
fighting WinME w/ the original symptom ("Non-system disk error" or "No OS
found"). The WinME partitions seem to no longer be backward compatible w/ old
MS-DOS 6.2, etc. So, the same problem turns out to be even more of a bummer.

You should also be able to mount the VFAT or FAT32 partition under Linux to
backup the data, etc. Just mounting it and copying *from* it should pose no
problems with corruption. You might also try something like dd.

Cheers,
Jason Nocks