Greg Lopp on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:02:49 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LILO weirdness

On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 04:22:23PM -0400, Jason wrote:

> On Thursday 11 July 2002 15H:09, Greg Lopp wrote:
> > After some swaping in and out of ide HDs a few days ago, which
> > ended with a return to my original HW config, I am no longer able
> > to boot into win98.  After the LILO menu, it says "Non-system
>
> I am tempted to ask, "Is this a bad thing?". But, I'll try to be nice.

Yea, I saw that joke coming.

> > Any clues or pointers?
>
> You created a "Win98 Rescue Disk", right? If so, have you tried that?
Still going for the easy jokes? ;)
Sure I created one, when I installed it four years and two moves
ago.  Chances are that it is long, long gone.....

Nope - It was hanging out in the shoe box with all the Mac disks
that are even older.

> Assuming you haven't or that it hasn't helped:
<snip>
> If so, and nobody has a better suggestion, you might try doing a "sys c:".
> That should transfer the basic DOS boot files to your C: drive without
> erasing any data (You might try this with the DOS system files installed
> under the Windows directory - I think, I forget where). If that works, you
> ought to at least be able to boot to the C: drive. From there, you should be
> able to repair the Win98 installation. I forget some of the details. Haven't
> worked with Win98/ME very extensively for a while.

OK, I've got the system files back in place, but there appear to
be a few corrupted files and a registry problem.  It's telling me
to boot to a command prompt and run scanreg - which promptly
fails or locks up.

Partition magic is giving me an error while looking at that
partition.....something about the partition not ending on a
cylindar?

Oh this sucks.  I might be able to get my Win98 install cd back
and reinstall most of the apps, but who knows where all the
drivers have gone.....