Chris Mann on Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:09:52 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Postnuke

I agree, case in point:

Consultants (the asp toting ones) offer to manage our MS Sql
databases.

Cost 34k/year.

Time spent per day: 4 hours.

34k/year for a part time person? We're hiring a new body. ;)

Chris Mann
Systems Administrator
Legg Mason Real Estate Services
cmann@lmres.com
215.496.3035

>>> nsilva@atari-source.com 07/19/02 11:51AM >>>
erm... if consultants didn't cost a company more, then they would just
have mostly consultants instead of employees.  It's just that int he
SHORT
term, consultants are cheaper.  In the long term, employees can
(should) be cheaper.  It isn't worth hiring someone full time to do
some
project work for 3 months in most cases.  Any consultant that my
company
has brought in and kept for more than .. 6 months to a year, they have
offered a full-time position to, in order to save money (myself
included!).  They have to pay benefits and such then, but they can
often
remove a middle-man too.

 -- noah silva

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Art Clemons wrote:

> Paul:
>  >Isn't it the sacred duty of a computer person to work on computer
> stuff >and save or make money for the Company?  In any case,
consultants
>  >usually cost a lot more than a regular employee.  And the Company
can
>  >work the regular employee twice as hard for less pay.  It works
>  >out...for the Company!
>
> Usually consultants don't cost a company more than employees doing
the
> same work.  Consultants don't usually cost an employer's share of
Social