JP Toto on Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:20:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] gaim-kit-aim

I use gaim in KDE all the time and it doesn't seem to hog much in the way of resources. You just need gtk installed - not full blown gnome. I would try Kinkatta for a full kde AIM client. It works really great and while it doesn't (last time I checked) get buddy lists from the server, it has an import utility to get saved lists from gaim, aim, and a few others. Definitely recommended. The only reason I stick with gaim is that it has pluggins for MSN. YMMV but definitely try out kinkatta:

http://kinkatta.sourceforge.net/

Cheerios, - JP

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
I have a deaf friend who I often chat with over AIM. I have used the AOL-brand AIM for Linux which seems quite suitable. I have also used gaim which is fine, too. I don't know if kit is working.

Kit, unlike AIM and gaim, doesn't seem to get your "buddy lists" from the server, meaning I have to manually add them. Is this correct, or am I just using it wrong?

GAIM works fine, but I am usually working in KDE, and I understand that GAIM is a gnome app, and that using gnome apps in kde hogs a lot of resources.

I suppose that if kit isn't there yet, and gaim hogs resources, I could use the AOL-brand client.

Suggestions?

--
JP Toto
ViceClown@yahoo.com