Gregson Helledy on Mon, 22 Jul 2002 13:13:39 -0400

[PLUG] Libranet, 3c900B card

Following generally positive feedback from this list, I installed Libranet
2.0 on a second partition on my main machine.
So far, so good, though I've never used a Debian-based distro before and am
still feeling my way around.  One oddity is that it seems to have only one
option for ps/2 mice, a 2-button version (with 3-button emulation).  I still
have to figure out how to get it to recognize the wheel on my 3-button
wheelmouse.
I also need to fine-tune X to get the display centered and full-size on my
monitor (I also use Windows for games, so I don't want to just adjust the
monitor).  Do Debian users have a tool for tuning the modelines?

I also had an interesting experience with a 3Com NIC.  My old NIC was
getting flaky so I wanted to replace it before doing the new install.  We're
still using coax wiring, and PCI NICs with coax (BNC) connectors are hard to
find.  Fortunately, a local store had a 3c900B card, which has both BNC and
Cat5 connectors.  I installed it, it worked fine under windows, and Libranet
detected and loaded the module for it ("3c59x", I believe), but there was no
connectivity.  I switched back to my old card (uses the "tulip" driver) and
had no problem at all.  It seems that the 3c59x driver doesn't work with all
of the cards it's alleged to work with.  Since that was the only PCI NIC
with BNC connector that my local store (Second Source in Jenkintown, a great
place BTW) had, it looks like I'm back to an ne2000 for the time being.

Greg Helledy

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
this message to anyone.  In such case, you should destroy this message
and notify GRA, Inc. (gramail@gra-inc.com) immediately.  Please advise
immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet e-mail
for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other information
expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by GRA, Inc. unless
otherwise indicated by an authorized representative independent of this
message.