Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 25 Jul 2002 23:30:07 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Take a Mac user to lunch...

> 	A friend of mine at Apple who is in charge of the server
> group was telling me that there are all sorts of issues with cooling
> servers and they tried a number of options including one that
> whistled (and was software controllable ;).

Finally they are doing things right at apple. Making a server noisy.
People like this sort of thing. Is joe sixpack going to think that this
machine is powerful if it doesn't make any noise? Nobody is impressed w/
those tiny, cool running chips that don't need a fan. If it doesn't need a
fan then it must be really weak. One reason, IMHO, that apple didn't sell
more units.

I have heard that they brought their price down, which IMHO, is bad for
business and bad for the economy. The economy needs money to move around,
so the higher the price the better. Also, if one has to pay more for a
server then they'll think that that it's better b/c as joe says, "you get
what you pay for." :)

Fred