Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 26 Jul 2002 12:00:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Take a Mac user to lunch...

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:27:03PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 03:07:16PM -0400, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> > From LinuxWorld at
> > <http://www.linuxworld.com/site-stories/2002/0724.macx.html>
> >
> > You can all start picking a day when to take me out...
>
> Just as long as you don't bring one of those damn Xserver slices
> *with* you. I'd go deaf.
>
> (Seriously, have you heard one? The guy on the NetBSD-macppc mailing
> list with a few who made sure we booted properly on the system said
> he had to wear sound-baffling headphones around them. Not something
> you want for the home, for sure.)

It's a simple physics problem: conservation of noise. When they made
their desktop machines essentially silent, they had to move the noise
somewhere. They put it in the servers.

I suspect they accomplished the time shifting of the noise using an
updated version of the subspace circuitry on the old 68K motherboards.

    <http://www.mactech.com/articles/develop/issue_07/Chesley_text.html>

--
 Jeff

 The Big Book of Misunderstanding, now in bookstores and on the web:
 <http://www.misunderstanding.net/buystuff.html>